Saturday, February 26, 2011

Italian Chicken Cordon Bleu

So yesterday was our anniversary and, as I do on all special occasions, I made a special dinner.

For our main course I decided to practice my chef skills, which my boyfriend defines as "cooking without a recipe". This has always been super hard for me. I love improvising and changing ingredients, but I enjoy the comfort of having a recipe stare back at me from the computer screen. I find it reassuring. But to be a good chef you need to be confident in your own skills, experience, and knowledge, and I think that I'm at the point that I can start making things without an ingredient list or directions. I decided to make a cross between Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Parmesan.

I started by pounding the chicken breasts until they were 1/2 inch thick. I then placed a rectangle of swiss cheese on the chicken and rolled the breast jelly roll style, tightly. I used toothpicks to keep the chicken together. I know what you're thinking, "You forgot the ham!", well we don't eat much ham so we don't buy it. This is a ham-free cordon bleu! ;-)

Breading the Chicken Cordon Bleu


I then breaded the chicken with Italian breadcrumbs and baked it at 400F for 30 minutes. I served this with a chunky tomato marinara sauce, vegetable brown rice, and a spinach broccoli salad.  Yum!

Italian Chicken Cordon Bleu

If you think this dinner looked good, just wait until you see dessert!