Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jam Brownies

Jam Brownies

I don't think that 'brownies' is the right term to describe this dessert. This decadent treat is just so dense, fragrant, and moist that it goes beyond the fudgiest-fudge brownie. The texture is almost similar to that of a flourless cake and it is so rich that one slice subdued this chocoholic. Eating this dessert is true bliss!

So it's not cake, nor fudge, nor a brownie....but it uses similar ingredients to a brownie, is cooked the same way as a brownie, and it's jammed full of berry goodness! I'll stick with my basic title of Jam Brownies for the time being.

I discovered this recipe while perusing some of my favourite food blogs. I noticed quite a few entries that included jam as a main ingredient. This one stuck with me for some reason, and boy am I glad I bookmarked it. I love the depth of flavor that jam brings to this dish. I used homemade very-berry jam and it worked very well. Marmalade would work well too; orange and chocolate are a great pair.

I made this recipe for our anniversary. It is definitely special occasion worthy.

Jam Brownies


Jam Brownies
(from Twospoons) -lovingly translated from metric to good-old cups and tablespoons

Ingredients: 
  • ¾ cup and 2 tbsp of unsalted butter 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 and 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips 
  • 250g jam or marmalade (just over 8 ounces) 
  • 1 tbsp cocoa 
  • 1 cup of A/P flour 
  • pinch salt 

Directions: 
  1. Grease an 8 inch round or square pan.
  2. Preheat oven to 350F
  3. Melt butter and jam together on lowest heat setting until butter has melted. Add chocolate and cocoa and stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated. Let mixture cool.
  4. Beat eggs into the mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared dish and bake for 15-25 minutes depending on size. 
  5. I cooked mine for 25 mins. The center wasn’t fully set which ended up being perfect. Cool completely and refrigerate before slicing.