Friday, February 25, 2011

New Blog and Kaitlyn's Famous Banana Bread

After my first failed attempt at blogging, I have finally gathered the courage to enter into the food bloggerverse.

I don't think my pictures are foodgawker quality yet but I'm working on them and hopefully in the future I'll be able to cross off 'successful foodgawker submission' from my bucket list.

So to start off my blog I couldn't think of a better recipe than my Famous Banana Bread. 

Kaitlyn's Famous Banana Bread

 This recipe has created quite a stir in Southern Oregon where it often gets shipped to my boyfriend's family.  It's incredibly moist and freezes and thaws so well. The addition of chocolate chips makes this an indulgent treat. I'm currently working on making a 'chocolate loaf' version of this banana bread...yummy!

Kaitlyn's Famous Banana Bread
(adapted from Emeril Lagasse)

Ingredients
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3 large bananas (4 small)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I add an extra tablespoon due to my high elevation of 3,600 feet)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease a loafpan with 1 teaspoon of butter.

Puree or mash the bananas, sour cream, eggs and vanilla.

Sift the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fixed with a  whisk attachment. Add the stick of butter and mix on medium-low speed until blended, scrape the sides to evenly distriubute the butter in the flour. Add the banana mixture in 2 batches, scraping the sides of the bowl and mixing on medium speed between each addition. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Pour into the loaf pan. Bake until lightly browned and bread bounces back to the touch, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool completely.