Monday, March 28, 2011

Enchilada Sauce

Enchilada Sauce
So here is my recipe for that super yummy enchilada sauce I mentioned in my Healthy Enchilada's post. I almost forgot to post this! I hope there weren't too many of you waiting!

This sauce totally makes that dish. I wasn't lying when I said I could eat it with a spoon, because I have, on multiple occasions. 

This sauce is super quick and easy to make and uses basic ingredients. I recommend making this ahead of time as prepping and rolling the enchiladas can be quite time consuming. Just throw all the ingredients together in a sauce pan, simmer, cool, and place in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If you want to keep it longer just freeze it! Freezers are awesome aren't they?!

Enjoy!

Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 can (regular sized approx. 12-15 oz) of crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup of canola oil
  • 2 tbsp of flour
  • 4 tbsp of chili powder 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1 tsp of garlic powder
  • 3/4 tsp of onion salt
  • 1 tsp of cumin
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the flour and chili powder. Sir until a lump free paste is formed. 
  2. Add all other ingredients and stir until sauce starts to bubble. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
  3. Simmer for 15 mins until the sauce has slightly thickened.
  4. If the sauce is too thick then add more water.