Thursday, March 24, 2011

Healthy but Totally Delicious Enchiladas

Enchiladas!!
Pork, onion and black bean enchilada mixture
I LOVE THIS RECIPE!

It truly is so good that just thinking about it makes me salivate.

Low fat cottage cheese and sour cream, lean pork, black beans, onions, tomato-based enchilada sauce, sprinkle of cheddar cheese, whole wheat flour tortillas...this dish has all your food groups. And it's full of flavour without being full of fat and calories.

For me the enchilada sauce is what makes this dish so special. I could eat it with a spoon right out of the sauce pan...and secretly...between just you and me...I did. ;-)

This recipe can be thrown together rather quickly if you've already made the enchilada sauce and the tortillas. Just quickly saute the onions, add the black beans and pulled pork and cook until the meat and beans are warmed. I made my enchiladas really big and so only 5 fit in my dish. Next time I'll aim for 6 per dish, that way I can easy double the recipe in a second dish to accommodate guests. I think I'll also add a cup of corn to the meat mixture for some additional vegetables and colour.
Assembling the enchiladas.

Healthy Enchiladas

adapted from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1 1/2 cup pulled pork (recipe here)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 cup of corn *optional
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic
  • 1/8 tsp of red chili flakes
  • 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
  • 1 cup trim cottage cheese
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 12 (6 inch) or 6 large tortillas
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 can red enchilada sauce or 2 cups of Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Heat oil in a skillet and cook onions until translucent. Add pork and black beans, chili powder, garlic and chili flakes. Cook until beans and meat are warmed.
  3. In a small bowl mix together sour cream and cottage cheese with the sea salt and pepper.
  4. Spoon half the enchilada into a greased 9x13" baking dish and spread it evenly all over the bottom of the pan. 
  5. In each tortilla place a spoonful of meat mixture, a spoonful of cottage cheese mixture and a bit of shredded cheese. Roll tortillas and place seam side up in the baking dish. 
  6. Top the enchiladas with any remaining meat and cottage-cheese mixture, enchilada sauce and remaining shredded cheese.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.