Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade Flour Tortillas

Homemade Flour Tortillas
Oh My Goodness! This recipe is my single favourite internet find.

Last summer I decided that I was going to take my healthy eating habits one step further by making all of our own bread. This would give me control over the type of flour and oil, and practically eliminate preservatives from our diet. By December 2010 I was making all of our own bread with the exception of flour tortillas. Shawn and I are huge burrito/enchilada fans; him for the taste, and me for how healthy they are (can't go wrong with black beans and salsa)! So I was still, regretfully, heading to the bread aisle to pick up packaged flour tortillas. That all changed when I discovered this recipe from foodess.com. It used simple ingredients and was not time or labor intensive, so I gave it a try.

OMG they were so good!! They were soft and light with just the right amount of chew. I will NEVER go back to the floury, stiff, storebought versions that strangely seem to last for weeks without turning.

I do a double batch and freeze all of the extras. A quick, careful thaw in the microwave and they taste just as good as when you first made them. I even slice them into triangles and bake them with oilve oil and sea salt to make healthy chips.

Homemade Flour Tortillas
(from Foodess)
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil/oilve oil/grapeseed oil
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup warm water

Directions:
1. In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour and salt. Add oil and warm water, stirring to combine. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes, until the dough is smooth. Divide dough into 10 equal pieces. I usually end up with around 8 and when I double the recipe I have 15...weird right? Roll each piece into a ball. Allow to rest, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 30 minutes.

2. Once dough has rested, preheat your skillet. Roll out each ball into a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and stretch gently, pulling the dough evenly with your fingers. Don't tear your tortillas! Cook one at a time in the hot skillet for about 60 seconds, flipping half-way through, when it starts to puff and a few brown spots have appeared on the first side.

3. Freeze any unused tortillas immediately and defrost carefully in the microwave at lowest setting.