Saturday, March 26, 2011

Trim Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Trim Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Spinach and artichoke dip has always been a guilty pleasure for me. An appetizer to be savored on a special night out or brought to a festive holiday party. There are large quantities of healthy spinach and artichoke in the dip but who am I kidding? It's basically cheese, cream, mayo, and more cheese.

This recipe caught my eye. I altered it to make it healthier and more accommodating to my taste. Now unlike your average spinach and artichoke dip, this dip definitely tastes and looks healthy. When you dip in, there will be no oozing cheese on your cracker but instead simply spinach and artichoke. But that's okay because it tastes awesome!

My sister, my mom and I finished this off in 3 evenings! My mom even wanted me to make another and freeze it so she could have one ready to be heated and served to guests. She loved how light this dish was. I never had the time to make a second batch but this recipe is so easy she can make it herself in a snap.

This is a recipe you can experiment with. Next time I will make it with garlic infused canola oil instead of olive oil, as canola oil is cheaper and has a higher ratio of those good poly unsaturated fats. I think I'll also cut down on the amount of oil some more and add more spinach. Maybe I'll even try cottage cheese instead of sour cream, or do a mix of both like I do in my Enchiladas. So many possibilities!

Trim Spinach and Artichoke Dip
adapted from One Haute Plate


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of frozen spinach that’s been thawed and squeezed of excess water
  • 1 can (15 oz) of artichoke hearts chopped
  • ½ onion diced
  • 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese or Italian cheese blend 
  • 1/3 cup of low fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • Sea salt and pepper for seasoning
  •  Panko breadcrumbs

Directions:
  1.  Mix the spinach, artichoke, onion, sour cream, Parmesan and olive oil together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Pour into a 9x9 inch baking dish and sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs
  3. Bake at 400F for 30 mins.