Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuna Meatballs



Tuna Meatballs
Tuna Meatballs
Another tuna dish...yummers!

We try and add fish to our diet weekly. The cost of fresh fish is particularly cost prohibitive lately and to fill in the long gaps between salmon and halibut I reach for some canned tuna.

Shawn loves meaty spaghetti. I'm not a fan of pasta and I definitely do not like meatballs. I found this recipe while searching online for recipes to help me use up my giant can of tuna. It seemed to be a great way to give Shawn his pasta fix while giving me a form of meatball that I might actually enjoy.

One bite and we were hooked! These little guys are sooooo good! They hold together well and are firm! Not mushy at all!

Shawn eats these with spaghetti and marinara sauce. I love to eat these with gnocchi and broccoli pesto or even on their own with marinara sauce and a side salad. Another healthy and totally yum meal!

*Recipe Note: I do a large batch, doubling or tripling the recipe. I then cook all the meatballs and freeze them for a quick and easy meal. Just defrost in the microwave or on the counter and then reheat in a skillet.


Tuna Meatballs

Ingredients: 
  2 160g cans of tuna or just under 2 cups of tuna
  ½ cup diced onion
  1 tbls of lemon juice
  1 grated carrot
  1/3 italian breadcrumbs (add more if balls don’t adhere well)
  1 egg

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix with hands and form into meatballs.
Cook in an oiled skillet until browned on all sides.