Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
I'm totally falling behind on my posts this past week! I have tons of pictures from a couple of mains I've done recently but none of them are post worthy. We had our neighbours over one evening and proceeded to drink 3 bottles of wine; none of which I took notes on or photographed! I've also been so busy that I've failed to photograph two really good recipes :( But I'll be making them again so they'll find their way onto here pretty soon. So overall, epic blog-fail week.

Here is one recipe I managed to photograph...lol!



Shawn was craving some cookies and as I am always trying to keep my cooking as healthy and wholesome as possible, I decided on some oatmeal cookies. He didn't care as long as I included some dark chocolate chips. So Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies it was.

These cookies totally hit the spot. Soft, thick and chewy...just the way I like them! 

I use old fashioned steel cut oats for this recipe. You can also use the quick cooking 3-5 minute oats that are more common and grocery store friendly. They will also be more stomach friendly. I am sensitive to raw oats. My digestive system basically freaks out if I don't cook them long enough. This resulted in my ability to only eat one cookie every few hours. Two cookies was too much but one was just right. I wish all sweets assisted in portion control like these cookies do! :)


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies




Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (375F if you are over 3000 feet or if you have problems with your cookies spreading
  2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. 
  3. Chill the dough for an hour or so and then form the dough into tablespoon sized balls. 
  4. Bake for 10 minutes on a lined baking sheet until the edges are browned but the tops still look soft or undercooked. 
  5. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to set and then remove them to cool on a wire rack.