Thursday, May 5, 2011

Best Ever Fudge Brownies

Best Ever Fudge Brownies
So I feel like I've tried every single fudge brownie recipe known to man in the last month! Shawn challenged me a few weeks ago to find or create the best ever brownie recipe. Since then I've made brownies with 5 eggs, brownies with 2 eggs, brownies without eggs, brownies with cocoa powder, brownies without cocoa powder, brownies with brown sugar....and every other combination you can think of. I now think that the challenge was a little more self-serving on his part rather than being a way to expand my knowledge of baking. He had an endless supply of brownies coming his way!!

In spite of the challenges and all the possible combinations, I finally managed to strike gold! This recipe was the last one I tried. I had found an awesome recipe 2 weeks prior and failed to bookmark it. I spent 3 days of going through page after page of brownies on foodgawker and google trying to find the long lost recipe. I never did find it. I tried a few others and none of them came close. I was at my wits end when I found this recipe while randomly surfing the web. It's annoying how you look, and look, and look for the perfect couch, jeans, shoes, brownie recipe etc... and you finally find it when you are not even trying! Sheesh!

Well I found it. I will search no more.

These brownies are rich, dense and oh so chocolately!


**Recipe Note: I did not line my pan with foil and I will NEVER do that again when preparing this recipe. Those brownies are fudgy and sticky. Just the consistency I crave however this makes these brownies horrendously difficult to remove from even the most heavily buttered non-stick pan. Line your pan people! And if you don't have foil use parchment paper :) (See image below!)



Best Ever Fudge Brownies - they are so dense they stick to even well greased non-stick pans!

Best Ever Fudge Brownies

from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Ingredients:

2 sticks (8 oz) butter
8 oz dark chocolate chips
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 large eggs
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sea salt salt
2/3 cup all-purpose flour


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with foil and grease the foil.

Melt butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring, until smooth. Add 1 cup of the sugar to the hot chocolate mixture. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.

Whisk in remaining 1 cup sugar and vanilla and then the eggs 1 at a time. Whisk in salt and cocoa powder, then add flour and stir until it disappears (do not over-mix).

Spread in pan and bake until a pick inserted in center comes out with crumbs, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool to room temperature then chill for an hour or more. Lift from pan, peel off the foil, place on a cutting board, cut into squares.