Monday, June 13, 2011

Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream

Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream
So it's been over a week of fabulous weather after the worst spring in history. I think it is now safe to say that summer is just around the bend! In honor of the lovely sunshine, warm evenings, and dinners eaten at twilight on the patio, I bring to you an ice cream recipe. This isn't just any ice cream though...it's healthy. SUPER healthy!

There are only 3 ingredients required and the main one is frozen pieces of banana!!

This recipe has made me soooooooo happy because over the last year I have developed a sensitivity to uncultured dairy; ie: milk, cream, ice cream, and certain kinds of cheese.

The last few posts of mine were ice cream cake. I know that I'm not supposed to eat ice cream but it was my wedding! So I ate very little. Well the evening AFTER the wedding I didn't feel so good. I had sneaked in a piece of left over ice cream cake and the consequence was 24 hours of nausea, pain and indigestion. I swore to never consume the evil stuff again after that horrible night.

Well with me not eating the leftovers that left Shawn to the duty of consuming all the ice cream in the freezer. I was fine with it at first, the sight of it made me ill, but after a week that cake started to look pretty good again. I needed to nip this craving in the butt...fast. So I searched online and discovered that someone had come up with the wonderful idea of grinding up frozen bananas to make ice cream.

It makes total sense. In smoothies frozen bananas, even unfrozen ones, lend a thick creamy texture. Ice cream has a thick creamy texture! Voila! Total sense!

I adapted some recipes to suit my taste. I recommend experimenting with more cocoa powder, less cocoa powder, peanut butter...etc!

Healthy Chocolate Ice Cream
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of frozen banana pieces (I slice ripe bananas place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and freeze, storing them 3 hours later in a tupperware in the freezer for future use. 
  • 3 tbs of cocoa powder (I found 2 tbs wasn't chocolately enough for me)
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. In a food processor blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy! Yep that's it! So easy!
** Sometimes I add 2 tablespoons of hot water in the middle of blending the ingredients. It helps the bananas cream quicker. Then I scoop out the ice-cream put it in a bowl and set it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up again.