Saturday, June 18, 2011

Meat Rolls - A work in Progress

Ground beef Meatrolls 

Meatrolls for dinner
Do you ever come across those recipes that just look so delicious, so mouthwatering that you just have to make it that very day. I came across one of those recipes just the other day. It was a recipe for meat rolls and boy did the pictures look yummy. So I made them that very night for dinner. They were good...but looked very different than the meat rolls pictured in the recipe.

Mine puffed out and were quite bready. I think I needed to roll it out thinner but I had such a problem with the filling falling out, I don't see how I could have rolled it thinner.

Well, we loved the concept of this recipe. And I want to make it work. So I'm going to try this recipe again, and follow it more closely (I kneaded the dough...whoops! Just habit I guess!).

Even though it didn't turn out as pictured this meal was still super yummy and there as so many filling combinations you can try. I did ground beef with minced carrots, onions, garlic and cottage cheese. I'd love to try grilled chicken with pesto and mozzarella or a pizza version with ham, marinara sauce and veggies. mmmmm....

Meat Rolls
from Sandra's Easy Cooking

Dough Ingredients:
  • 3 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbs of salt
  • 1 tbs of dry yeast
  • 1/2 tsp canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 and 1/3 cup of warm water
Filling Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound of ground beef
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1/2 onion, finely minced
  • 1 shredded carrot
  • 1 tbs of yellow mustard
  • 1 tbs of garlic powder
  • Cream cheese for spread at room temperature (I used cottage cheese)
Directions:
  1. Combine all dough ingredients and mix together until a ball is formed. Don't knead the dough. Place in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
  2. Saute onions and carrot in a large frying pan with a bit of olive or canola oil
  3. Add the ground beef and combine well. Add the salt, pepper, mustard and garlic to the meat mixture. Cook the beef throughly and drain any excess fat from the pan.
  4. Form the dough into balls the size of a baseball.
  5. Roll out each ball into a 7 inch long and 4 inch wide rectangle. Spread cream cheese all over the dough. Fill with meat mixture but leave room along the edges of the dough so that you can pinch the seams tightly together. 
  6. Place on parchment paper on a non-stick sheet and bake in an oven preheated to 375F.  Bake these for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven when done and cover with a clean dry towel for 10 minutes.
  8. Serve as an appetizer or as dinner with a side salad.