Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Healthier Low Calorie Frosting and a TruWhip Review

Yummy and natural TruWhip
TruWhip ready to be consumed!
I don't really like frosting. Yep. There, I said it. I'll eat a piece of cake or a cupcake with frosting on it and like it. But if I go for seconds I usually scrape the frosting off. It's just too much! Frosting really is just butter mixed with sugar you know! Frankly it grosses me out to even think about it.

That's why I have always adored Cool-Whip. It's light and looks like frosting, without all that butter and calories.

For the 4th of July I made cupcakes and I wanted to frost them with frosting of course! But I really didn't want to waste 2 sticks of butter on a dessert that would only be consumed by the two of us. So I decided to make my trusty "low-calorie" pudding frosting. This frosting requires a box of instant pudding mix and a tub of Cool Whip. I was feeling very proud of my decision until Shawn reminded me that Cool Whip was full of high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and chemicals. We no longer consume products that contain those ingredients!

Well, when I was at the grocery store I checked out the Cool Whip anyway and yes, the ingredients are pretty much as bad as you can imagine. But right next to the Cool Whip I saw another product called TruWhip.

Unlike Cool Whip, TruWhip contains natural ingredients! No hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, and no trans fat! This is a 100% natural and 70% organic product for only about a dollar more. Thank you healthy-eating gods!!

I bought a 10oz tub. Took it home. Defrosted it in the fridge. Took the lid off. Licked the lid of its contents. :-)

This product tastes AMAZING! It has the Cool Whip texture and lightness without the chemical aftertaste. Simply said, it tastes natural!

Healthier Low Calorie Frosting - blue for Independence Day!

Healthier Low Calorie Frosting
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:

  • 1 small 4 serving size natural instant pudding product (Like Dr.Oetkers) (It can be in any flavor but go with vanilla, coconut or white chocolate if you want to dye your frosting a different colour)
  • Soy milk or skim milk (in amount stated in pudding directions)
  • One 8-10oz tub of TruWhip
Directions:
  1. Prepare the pudding as stated in the directions on the box.
  2. Mix in the TruWhip well.
  3. At this point you may dye the frosting the colour you prefer or skip that step and cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
  4. Remove from fridge and pipe or frost as desired onto cakes or cupcakes. This frosting contains milk products so any cake or cupcake that contains this frosting should be refrigerated.