Saturday, July 2, 2011

Healthy Snickerdoodle Cake

Healthy Snickerdoodle Cake
Healthy Snickerdoodle Cake
I've recently discovered a food blogger called Chocolate Covered Katie. She remakes all your favourite guilty pleasures into healthy guilt-free treats. I decided to try her recipe for snickerdoodle blondies as I had all the ingredients. FYI: the main ingredient in these is..........chickpeas!! How fabulous is that?!

It turned out great! I don't have a 8x8 square pan so I used my 9 inch round cake pan and decided to call my snickerdoodle blondies, Snickerdoodle Cake.

I loved it, especially after I chilled the snickerdoodle slices in the fridge. Shawn, on the other hand, didn't know what to think of them. He said that they tasted like something he's had before but couldn't quite pinpoint. Hmmm can you say...snickerdoodle cookies! Sheesh!

Anyway. After eating a third of the pie he suddenly decided that he didn't like it. Fine! More for me ;-)

There is a weird texture to them. Obviously the texture is going to be different than flour, egg, and butter based snickerdoodle blondies because you are replacing all those ingredients with beans! So the texture is different but I think the taste is amazing!

I can't wait to try a few more of her recipes. I just need to stock up on some more applesauce first!


Healthy Snickerdoodle Cake
from Chocolate Covered Katie

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups chickpeas drained and rinsed
  • 3 tbsps of a nut butter (I just subbed applesauce to reduce fat)
  • 3/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of ground flax (I subbed with whole wheat flour)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt **optional - I omitted it
  • 2 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon of applesauce
  • a dash of cream of tartar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a 9 inch cake pan or 8x8 square pan lined with parchment paper
  3. Bake in the center of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. You want them to look slightly undercooked when you remove them from the oven as they firm as they cool. 
  4. Cool completely. I like to refrigerate before serving. 
Healthy Snickerdoodle Cake - ready to be sliced