Friday, July 1, 2011

Red Velvet Pancakes

Red Velvet Pancakes
Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians!

To celebrate this morning I made some red velvet pancakes. They were kind of a second thought. I had decided earlier this week to make raspberry stuffed vanilla cupcakes topped with swirly red and white frosting then top the extras with blue and white frosting for July 4th. Then I thought, July 4th is Monday. I don't want to make two desserts over one weekend. There is only two of us after-all. So this morning I decided last minute to make red velvet pancakes for Canada Day and save the cupcakes for Independence Day.

Because it was a quick decision and we were in a rush to finish breakfast and get out in the kayak before the river got crowed, I only took a few pictures. ALL OF THEM, with the exception of this one, were out of focus....bleh!

So don't judge too harshly. I really am trying to improve my pictures. :)

The recipe I used was okay. I have adapted it for you in a way that I think improves the end result greatly. These pancakes are sweet with a hint of chocolate, just like red velvet cake! I think these are a perfect special occasion pancake or something special and out of the ordinary to serve guests.

Enjoy!

Red Velvet Pancakes
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups of AP flour
  • 2 tbsp and 1 tsp of sugar
  • 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp of baking powder


Wet Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups of prepared milk (Prepared milk: 1 1/4 cups of milk or soy milk mixed with 1 tbsp and 1/2 tsp of white vinegar)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp of vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp of butter melted
  • 2 tsp of red food colouring

Directions:
  1. Make the prepared milk and set it aside.
  2. Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix together well. Make a well.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to a medium bowl or large measuring cup and whisk together.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients to the well of dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. Do not over mix.
  5. Cook on a prepared skillet preheated to a medium temperature. Cook for about 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 2-3. 
  6. Makes about 10-12 medium-large sized pancakes. I halved the recipe and got 5 pancakes out of it. I had two and was full.