Saturday, September 3, 2011

Beer of the Month - Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat
September has arrived and with it has come cool evenings, thoughts of fall and an urge to bake all things pumpkin. Not so fast! It's Labour Day Weekend! North America's one last huzzah for summer! And who says September means fall anyways? Technically the first day of fall is September 23rd...that's practically a whole month away!

I intend on making the most of my remaining summer so my pick for the September Beer of the Month (as I sit outside on my patio in the glorious sun) is a crisp, refreshing, oh-so-summery tangerine flavored wheat beer.

I initially tried this Eureka, CA brewed beer at the 2011 Bend Brewfest. I loved it and wanted a full bottle to feature on my blog. Well finding this stuff was harder than you would think. Our friend searched all over Central Oregon for it and it was out of stock everywhere. I looked online and yet again, out of stock. Hubby finally came through and found it at The Brew Shop here in Bend Oregon. The elusiveness and popularity of this beer confirmed my desire to feature it.

Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat 
Tasting Notes:

Colour: Beautiful orangey-yellow with a white head.

Aroma: Really ripe tangerine.

1st sip: Crisp carbonation and prominent tangerine flavor

Comments: This brew has the lightness and crispness of a wheat beer with the lovely summery sweetness of tangerine. The hops are very low as this beer barely tastes bitter at all. The bottle says that you may taste a hint of tangerine but I tasted full-on tangerine flavor...nothing that would classify as just a 'hint'.  I think that people who aren't big beer drinkers would really enjoy this beer!

Score: 4.5/5 - this is one of the best wheat/fruit beer's Shawn and I have had! (I scored it 5/5 at the Brewfest...a perfect example of how the same beer can taste different given the environment you are drinking in, your mood, what you've drank before hand, etc)