|Broiled Tofu Sandwiches...my accidental Vegan dinner|
Looking at the other ingredients I decided a salad wasn't enough and I grabbed one of my freshly baked buns sliced it in half and piled it high with spinach, salsa, sliced roma tomatoes and onions. I topped all of that with a piece of broiled tofu, mixed some salsa with some leftover red beans and headed out to the patio to enjoy the sunset.
While I was eating I though about how much I love a good vegetarian meal. We are big meat eaters in this household and my B neg blood type benefits from red gamey meats but it's always good to dedicate at least one night a week to a vegetarian meal. My thoughts then went to those uber vegetarians...the vegans. Those guys and gals are hardcore. No eggs, dairy, honey, meat or anything that includes animal products...that includes most chocolate!! A diet like that seemed impossible to me.
I then looked down at my meal. The bread contained no milk or honey; I used agave and water, the salsa and sriracha were vegan, so was the tofu, red beans and veggies. I was eating a vegan meal for dinner! And it tasted great and was totally satisfying.
So maybe I can add some vegan dinners to the roster. What do we have to loose?!
Broiled Tofu Sandwiches
- 2 slices of your favourite tofu (I like silken, slightly firm)
- chili powder
- 4 slices of tomato
- thinly sliced onion
- handful of baby spinach
- 4 tbsp of salsa
- sriracha sauce or hot sauce
- 1 bun (recipe here)
- Place paper towel under and on top of the slices of tofu and press down gently to remove excess water. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with chili powder and broil on high for 6 minutes on each side.
- Slice bun in half and top each half with spinach, 2 tbsp of salsa, onion and tomato slices. Top with a slice of broiled tofu and a squirt of sriracha sauce.
- Serve with your favourite type of cooked beans mixed with salsa.