Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots

Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots
I'm not much of a cookbook person. I prefer to browse recipes online. But every once and awhile I'll pull out one of Shawn's old cook books and read through it. Some of those cookbooks are pretty laughable. I mean any dessert ingredient list that starts out with "1 box of chocolate cake mix" isn't coming from a what I would consider a real cookbook. 

He does own two pretty good cookbooks; Food and Wine -The Magazines Annual Cookbook (for years 2004 and 2005).  I was leafing through the 2004 version the other day and came across their recipe for Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots. It looked amazingly delicious and incredibly healthy too! I tend to stray away from Indian Food because of all the milk, cream and calories but this dish had neither!

The only ingredient I was lacking was apricots so I scheduled a trip to Costco, bought a giant bag of dried apricots for cheap and came home and made this dish.

It smelled AMAZING while simmering away on the stove. It was a warm evening and I had all the patio doors open and Shawn said he could smell this cooking at the other end of the complex. I literally called him in for dinner with the aroma of my cooking!

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this recipe nor would I change it in anyway. Biting into juicy plump apricots simmered in spices was pure bliss! I will be making this dish regularly in the future.

Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots - Totally delish!

Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots
from Food and Wine - An Entire Year of Recipes 2004


Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup of whole almonds (ground to a powder in a food processor)
  • 12 dried apricots (choose the juiciest ones in the bag)
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (I used a small bag of chicken tenderloins)
  • ground pepper
  • 2 large garlic cloves minced
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp of powdered ginger
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder
  • 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes (I upped this to 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 cups of organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp of plain non-fat yogurt
  • 2 scallions chopped (*optional-for garnish)

Directions:
  1. Soak the apricots in boiling water for 20 mins. Drain.
  2. In a large skillet heat up oil (medium/high heat) and brown the chicken for 3 mins on each side; seasoning with pepper. Remove chicken from skillet and place on plate.
  3. Add the garlic and onion to the skillet and cook on low until until softened (about 10 minutes - took less for me) Add the ginger, curry, cayenne and stir until fragrant; no more than a few minutes. Add the ground almonds and the stock and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken back to the skillet as well as the apricots and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
  4. Increase heat and boil the sauce until thickened. You may remove the chicken during this process but I left it in. Once thickened remove from heat. Stir in yogurt and garnish with scallions.
  5. Serve with naan or brown batsmati rice. 
Chicken-Almond Curry with Apricots - this curry couldn't get healthier if it tried!