Sunday, October 16, 2011

Banana Cake for my 100th post and 25th Birthday!

Banana layer cake
Banana layer cake
I love efficiency and so you won't be surprised when I managed to combine my birthday and university graduation into one party. That was two years ago. This year I managed to combine my 100th post (huge milestone!) with my 25th birthday (another huge milestone!).

I chose banana cake for my birthday, in layer form for the blog. Yes. This is my first layer cake. I did the whole thing with only one cake pan and a plain old butter knife to spread the frosting. No fancy cake decorating products or off set spatulas here. Impressed? ;-)

I think it turned out beautiful! Don't you agree?

This banana cake is a favourite with Shawn's grandma. I've made it twice for her. It's moist, sweet and soooo delicious. It's also different from your run of the mill birthday cake. That's why I chose it. This version is also low-fat and I've reduced the sugar substantially. The icing however throws all that low-fat/low-sugar off. It's a traditional butter cream full of butter and powdered sugar. So leave the icing off for a healthier cake and include it for an indulgent treat that's totally birthday worthy.

Happy Birthday to me!!

Slice of Banana Layer Cake



Banana Cake
by Kaitlyn McFadden

makes one 9X13 sheet cake or two 8 to 9" cake pans

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 cup soy milk with 1 tbsp of lemon juice added
  • 1 cup mashed bananas or 2 large bananas

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Cream the applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla
  3. Mix the flour, baking soda and baking powder together and add to the creamed mixture. Mix together.
  4. Add the milk and bananas to the mixture and beat until smooth and well blended.
  5. Pour into a prepared pan (either lined or greased) and bake for 20 minutes for cake pans and 30-40 minutes for 9X13 pan.
  6. Let cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan and let cool completely before icing.

Vanilla Buttercream

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of butter room temperature
  • 3-4 cups of powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
  • 2-4 tbsp of soy milk
Directions:
  1. Beat butter. Add sugar and stir until combined. Beat mixture and add the vanilla. Add soy milk tbsp by tbsp until icing reaches desired consistency.