Saturday, October 15, 2011

Curried Apple Chutney and excuses for a day spent in your PJ's

Curried Apple Chutney

Five excuses to hang out in the kitchen all day in my PJ's:
  1. It's Saturday.
  2. We just got home from three days of traveling across Oregon and California in the truck.
  3. I picked a truck load of apples that need to be processed and canned.
  4. I strained my back and it hurts to sit.
  5. It's my Birthday Weekend!
Now that's more than enough excuses so today I did sleep in and hang out in the kitchen making spiced applesauce and curried apple chutney. I wore my comfy yet chic, micro fleece PJ's. I ate oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter for lunch and a slice of chocolate carrot cake, just because. I chopped a lot of apples and burned myself a few times sanitizing my mason jars. I sat out on the patio with a mug of green tea and dreamed about the banana layer cake I am making tomorrow while soaking in the gorgeous fall colours. I was am happy :-)

Here's to my last day as 24! 

Curried Apple Chutney
adapted from Ball's Blue Book Guide to Preserving

Ingredients:
  • 10 medium apples diced
  • 2 cups of raisins
  • 2 cups of vinegar
  • 2 cups of brown sugar
  • 1 onion diced
  • 1 sweet bell pepper diced
  • 3 tbsp of pickling spices (or 3 tbsp mustard seed and 2 tsp allspice)
  • 2 tbsp of ginger
  • 2 tsp of yellow curry powder
  • 2 tsp of salt/onion salt
  • 2 tsp of red chili flakes 
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced

Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients to a large sauce pan. Simmer with the lid off for 45-60 minutes until thickened.
  2. For canning: Ladle piping hot chutney into sanitized jars and process in a large pot or boiling water canner for 10 minutes. I processed for 20 minutes due to my high elevation. Makes enough to fill 6 half pint mason jars.
  3. Don't want to can? Then freeze the extras in freezer safe containers.