Saturday, October 1, 2011

Green Curry - With Tuna!

Green Curry - Can you find the tuna hiding behind all those veggies?
Green Curry is my absolute favourite Thai take-out dish; we practically lived off it when we were in Sydney, Australia last year. It also happens to be a simple, satisfying dish that you can make easily at home, making it also one of my favourite home cooked meals.

Green Curry is traditionally served with a protein of your choice, usually a lighter meat so it doesn't over power the delicate flavour of the green chilies. I make it with chicken or pork all the time and we occasionally will order it with shrimp if we know where the shrimp were harvested. Tuna however, is new for us.

I had been craving green curry all week but we already had chicken that week, I was out of tofu and I didn't have time to defrost and cook some pork shoulder. You see, I've been trying to stretch our animal proteins to about once a week per animal to help with out budget and our health! It gets tricky! You really need to plan ahead....or have an open mind. I took the open mind route and decided to use the left over tuna I had sitting in the fridge. Fish in green curry is common and according to google, putting tuna in it is not uncommon!

So in went the tuna with my usual plethora of veggies and 15 minutes later we sat down to one of our favourite meals. The tuna was almost completely overpowered by the curry. You knew it was there but it wasn't in your face. In fact I think it tasted lovely and I will be making green curry with tuna again and again!

Give this yummy dish a try. It's very filling and full of veggies, good fats (coconut milk) and omega-3's! It is also easy on the wallet and I LOVE that!

**Recipe note: I do not make my green or red curry paste from scratch. I get a 2 lb 3 oz bucket of the stuff from a restaurant supply store for $3.99! I've done the math and it's way cheaper for me to buy it than make it myself but I fully support those of you who do!

Green Curry with Tuna
by Kaitlyn McFadden

this SPICY dish serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp of sesame oil or canola oil
  • 1/4 cup of green curry paste with 1 tbsp removed (I use Mae Ploy)
  • 1 can of coconut milk (14 oz)
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 2 cups of tuna 
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper sliced
  • 2 carrots grated 
  • 2 cups of chopped brocolli
  • 1 tsp sugar or honey

Directions:
  1. Heat up your wok and add the oil and curry paste. Saute until fragrant and add half the can of the coconut milk. Stir until smooth and lump free. 
  2. Add remaining half of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a low boil. Reduce to a simmer.
  3. Add the veggies and tuna. Simmer with the lid on for 5 minutes. Take the lid off and continue to simmer until the veggies are softened.
  4. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sugar or drizzle with honey. Serve on top of brown rice.