Thursday, October 20, 2011

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout - Beer of the Month

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
October always seems like the busiest month of the year. First comes thanksgiving, then my birthday, then my mothers birthday, then Halloween, then my fathers birthday at the beginning of November. Each year the whole month seems full of celebrations, cake, family dinners and leftovers. This month seems extra busy. We've had to fit in a trip to the Rogue Valley and northern California and I've had to juggle my mapping project with Bend Parks and Rec with filling out job applications....yes...I can finally work for money!

So instead of taking advantage of all these holidays and celebrations, I've instead neglected my blog for the past few days :(

But that stops now! :)

In my notebook I've got two easy-peasy but hopefully cute Halloween recipes to post later this month, three restaurant/brewery reviews, a ton of beer/wine reviews and perhaps a recipe or two. (I'm drowning in leftovers at the moment so don't hold your breath on the recipes!) Now I just need the time and focus to type them out!

Beer reviews are pretty straight forward so I'm starting there.

Enjoy this review and the many more to come!

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Samuel Smith's is a brewery in England that has been in operation since 1758. Once you've seen a bottle of their beer you can recognize one of their brews anywhere. They have a characteristic almost square like bottle with gold foil over the opening, like a wine bottle. The labels are similar but the colour is different according to the type of beer. Their beer can be expensive per bottle at specialty craft beer stores however we've found them cheapest at World Market for $2.99 a bottle.

-Tasting Notes-

Aroma: roasted oats, malt

Colour: Opaque black

Taste: Roasty, malty, full flavored, smooth. There is an earthy graininess to it.

Overall: This is everything you'd expect from an oatmeal stout. It's not too bitter and has a good balance between sweetness and hops. It's also not very heavy or carbonated. Frankly I loved this beer. I'm really starting to appreciate dark beers. The first dark beer I really enjoyed was the Back Boss Porter. We tried this beer soon after and I also enjoyed it. Now I will order any porter or stout on nitro at a brewery but half a pint is usually my limit. Samuel Smith, this is a great beer!

Score: 4.3/5

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout - Writing down tasting notes