Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ginger Cardamom Cookies

Ginger Cardamom Cookies
It's Christmas cookie time in the McFadden household! Tomorrow we are heading south for a quick trip to visit the in-laws. I wanted to give them an assortment of cookies to enjoy over the holidays so I spent all day today baking 4 batches. I would have made more but I ran out of butter, brown sugar and eggs! So fortunately for me I get to spend another day more baking cookies so they will last us through Christmas on the Washington coast with my parents. 

This year I made Double Chocolate Peppermint, Oatmeal Raisin (for my father-in-law) and my new favourite Ginger Cardamom. I'll be posting the recipes for each over the next few days and today I'm starting with the Ginger Cardamom cookies.

This recipe was an awesome find and I'm so excited to share it with you. The dough comes together really easy and when they come out of the oven they almost look like little macarons. They have a crisp crust and a soft tender crumb inside. The blend of spices is perfect, not too overpowering, and sugar coating makes them sparkle and look oh so festive! The recipe will also make your home smell amazing! Enjoy!

Ginger Cardamom Cookies

Ginger Cardamom Cookies
from SPCookieQueen - lovely site

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1.5 tsp  nutmeg
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar, loosely packed
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar + 1/2 teaspoon cardamom

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F (375F for higher elevations or if you have problems with your cookies spreading)
  2. Mix the flour, baking soda, and spices together in a large bowl. In another large bowl beat the oil and brown sugar together adding the eggs one by one. 
  3. Pour the brown sugar mixture into the flour mixture and stir together. The dough will be stiff and may also be crumbly; this is the consistency it should be. Once combined you might need to lightly knead the dough by hand to absorb any remaining flour. Chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
  4. Form into balls the size of a tablespoon and roll each ball in the sugar/cardamom mixture. Bake for 9-10 minutes on a lined cookie sheet. Let rest on the warm cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing. 
Ginger Cardamom Cookies