Monday, December 12, 2011

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and a Solution to Spreading Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Here's my second Christmas cookie selection and recipe. Oatmeal raisin was requested by my father-in-law Roger, and so I had to oblige. I used my recipe for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and altered the oven temperature and baking time slightly. I think these turned out awesome so I've adapted the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip recipe to account for those changes I made.

Over time and a lot of trial and error, I learned that some of the tricks to baking cookies at elevation and avoiding that inevitable spread involve:

  • Adding an extra tbsp of flour
  • Chilling the dough
  • Heating up the oven 25 degrees hotter than the recipe calls for and baking the cookies for a shorter amount of time. 

While literally living at sea level I baked the best cookies at 350F from room temperature dough. Now those same recipes end up perfect when chilled dough is baked at 375F for 2-3 minutes less. 

So if you are having problems with your cookies spreading than I recommend giving these tips a try even if you don't live above 3000 feet. Let me know how it goes!

Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup raisins
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (375F when above 3000 feet or if you have problems with your cookies spreading).
  2. In a large bowl cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. 
  3. Chill the dough for an hour or so and then form the dough into tablespoon sized balls. 
  4. Bake for 10 minutes on a lined cookie sheet until the edges are browned but the tops still look soft or undercooked. 
  5. Let the cookies sit on the warm baking sheet for 5 minutes to set and then remove them to cool on a wire rack.