Saturday, January 14, 2012

Salmon Pizza and Cilantro Sauce

Salmon Pizza with Cilantro Sauce
Things have changed in the McFadden household....

Have you noticed that I haven't posted since New Years!

Well that's because I have a new full time job that fills up my week and leaves me with a lot less free time to spend blogging. I do intend to continue blogging, it will just most likely be once a week instead of 3 or 4 times a week. I'm still getting a handle on my new Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm work schedule. We've had to adjust everything; from my workout schedule, the time we eat and go to bed, and who does the shopping (Shawn). It is really helpful having him home as he takes care of most of the household chores and can do the shopping so I don't have to do all that when I get home at 5:15. Yes, I have a 15 minute commute...on my bike (I'm really loving this snow-free winter we've been having so far).

Make ahead meals have been so helpful. One of our favourites has been homemade pizza. Normally pizza night is a 2 hour event in our household. That doesn't appeal to me so much anymore on busy weeknights so I've started making batches of dough on the weekend and freezing them. Then in the morning before work I take one out and leave it on the counter to defrost.

I've posted the recipe for perfect pizza crust but I haven't shared my incredibly colourful,  delicious and different recipe for salmon pizza. This recipe is perfect for leftover salmon. We received some fresh salmon from friends that I baked in the oven and we had leftovers but not enough for two full servings. So I decided to try it on pizza to make it go further and boy was it delicious!

The secret ingredient that brings this whole dish together is my cilantro sauce inspired by the cilantro sauce at The Cheesecake Factory. God that stuff is good! I put it on everything so why not pizza!?
Cilantro Pizza

Salmon Pizza with Cilantro Sauce
by Kaitlyn McFadden

* I'm not including measurements for the pizza toppings as the amount will vary according to the size of the pizza and your personal preference.

Pizza Toppings:
  • One batch of perfect pizza crust dough
  • leftover cooked salmon
  • diced onion
  • diced red bell pepper
  • grated red cabbage
  • diced scallions
  • grated cheese (preferably a low moisture blend of mozzarella, cheddar, and provolone)
Directions:
  1. Roll out and shape dough. Top generously with spoonfuls of cilantro sauce (see recipe below). 
  2. Sprinkle with onion and pepper and top with grated cheese. Top the cheese with salmon and red cabbage and bake at 500 for 10 minutes using your preferred pizza cooking method ie. pizza stone,  baking sheet etc. 
  3. Just after you remove the pizza from the oven top immediately with the scallions and wait 2-3 minutes for it to cool before slicing. 
  4. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes.

Cilantro Sauce
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:
  • 2 bunches of fresh cilantro
  • 3 large garlic cloves
  • Juice from 2 small limes
  • Zest from 1 small lime
  • 3 tbsp of cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp of honey
  • 1 tbsp of soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp of ground ginger
  • 1 tbsp of Thai sweet chili sauce
  • 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
  • Enough canola oil to blend to desired consistency. Approx: 1/4 cup
Directions: 
  1. Blend all ingredients together, except the oil, in a food processor. While blending, drizzle in the oil in the opening at the top of the food processor. 
  2. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Freeze any extra sauce.