On a lighter note, I do enjoy the excuse (frankly any excuse will do) to prepare an indulgent dinner and dessert for two. I picked the dinner and Shawn got to pick the dessert. I wanted to let him choose because for the most part, I decide what we eat and when we eat it. Well when I told him he got to pick dessert I quickly remembered why I make all the food decisions...he just can't make up his mind! He doesn't crave certain foods like I do so everything always sounds great to him. This is a wonderful quality as he is always satisfied and complimentary but sometimes I just like to be told what to make.
So to help him make his decision I sat him down and showed him a few recipes I've had bookmarked. Out of all the choices he picked the naughtiest of them all, Slutty Brownies. It's the perfect name for The Naughtiest Dessert I Have Ever Made. No joke!
I didn't alter this recipe in any way except divide the recipe into two smaller pans because I lack a 9x9 square pan. So no healthy substitution for the butter and no reduced amount of sugar or eggs. These are basically a dessert threesome. A bottom layer of buttery chocolate chip cookie dough topped with a layer of oreos and then gooey chocolaty brownie batter. Yes you read that right....chocolate chip cookies + oreos + brownie all in one bite.
And they work, in such an amazing way. The flavours are distinct yet pair perfectly.
They are also dangerously addictive. No dessert has beckoned to me in the middle of the night like these have. I've started to call them Kaitlyn Crack.
So be warned. These are the most addictive and naughty morsels ever. They are best eaten over the sink with huge feelings of guilt and remorse afterwards...utterly slutty.
from What's Gabby Cooking
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 package of Oreos
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temp)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Cookie Dough Layer: (this makes way too much dough, halve or freeze the rest for cookies)
- For the Brownie layer:
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the sugar and cocoa powder once the butter is melted. Whisk to combine and remove from heat. Add the salt, vanilla and eggs and continuously whisk until the eggs are combined. Add the flour and continue to mix. Set batter aside.
- For the Cookie Dough layer:
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla, making sure to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix on low until everything is incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Set dough aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9x9 baking pan with tin foil and then spray the tin foil with a layer of baking spray.
- Layer 1/2 of the cookie dough on the bottom of a 9x9 baking pan, pressing down to form the bottom of the slutty brownies. Reserve the remaining cookie dough to be used to make cookies later in the day.
- Layer as many oreos that will fit on top of the cookie dough. No need to overlap. One single layer will do.
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the oreo layer and make sure it's evenly layers on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test with a knife to see if the center is done. If the knife comes out clean, let the brownies rest before serving. If the knife comes out with batter still on it, allow the brownies to bake about 5 minutes more.
- Let cool on a rack and then chill in the fridge for an hour to set. Slice and serve and let the guilt trip begin!