Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lettuce Wraps

Colourful Vibrant Veggies for Lettuce Wraps
Are your weeknight's as busy as mine? I think that answer is most likely, yes!

Everybody has a few weekdays where you don't seem to stop from about 7am to 10pm.

Since starting work full time I've been good about cooking and baking large and healthy batches of bread, muffins, soups and casseroles on the weekends to get us through the work week.

Soups are my new BBF...I'm making a crazy awesome batch of black bean soup right now as I write this...but more on that at another time.

But as much as I plan there always seems to be that day where you are either out of leftovers, don't want to eat leftovers or just can't find the time or the will to make a healthy meal. On these evenings I often turn to lettuce wraps. Shawn always keeps our fridge well stocked with fruit and veg so lettuce wraps are an easy, healthy, yummy, quick to prepare dinner for us.

Like most of my recipes we just use what we have. On the weekends I take inventory of our sauces so I always have ample amounts of cilantro sauce and peanut sauce that I can pull out of the freezer when a 'lettuce wrap evening' arrives.

Lettuce Wrap Night!

Lettuce Wraps
by Kaitlyn McFadden

Ingredients:
  • Any veggies you have on hand such as carrots, cabbage, onions, cucumbers, zucchini, spinach, broccoli, bell peppers.
  • Left over meat like roast chicken or beef or steak. *optional
  • 1 head of butter lettuce. Iceberg will work in a jiff if the butter lettuce isn't looking so good - happens more than I like at our local Albertsons. :( 
  • Cilantro sauce or Peanut sauce for dipping.
Directions:
  1. Slice veggies into strips. Arrange artfully on a platter or 9x13 glass pan. Tear off each whole leaf of lettuce and place them on the platter as well. Spoon the cilantro sauce and peanut sauce into serving dishes. 
  2. Place tray on coffee table in front of couch. Sit down. Dig in. Relax......